Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Shirts, lots of shirts!

I have been seeing many people altering basic long sleeve t-shirt patterns to make draped cowl neck knit shirts and I was interested.  I decided to use pattern 106 from the February 2011 Burda Style magazine as my base pattern.  I figured before trying to alter the pattern I should make the pattern as is to make sure it fits correctly.

interesting print but I like it.
Then I sliced the pattern and tried to alter it and this is what I came up with.

close up of the cowl details.
I wanted more cowling (is that even a word?) so I tried one more time but I didn't have enough fabric for long sleeves so I made short fluttery sleeves and this is what I came up with:
I like the amount of cowl on this shirt much better

I was wearing the shirt with my black burda pencil skirt.

I think that I will need to try to figure out how to do a sway back adjustment when I make this shirt next.  I like all of the versions that I made of this shirt and I am sure I will be making more.
With all of the shirts I finished the sleeve hems and the hem by doing a rolled hem on my serger.


  1. Very nice cowls. I especially like the green version. With cowl necks, I think it's tricky to get just what you're envisioning because fabrics can behave so differently.

  2. Yes, it is very tricky to get what you want.