Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Two dresses

I was able to load up the kids and make a 4 hour drive to see my younger sister and her children this past weekend for her youngest daughter's 2nd birthday.  The kids all had a blast swimming in the hotel pool and playing together.  I had made both of my sisters purses for Christmas that were reversible.  I based the purses on  a pattern in a book I have called One Yard Wonders.
The outsides,
and the insides.
Both of my sisters prefer for their accessories to be in neutral colors but I figured I could make the inside (or it can be the outside if they want) something fun that reflected their personalities.
My sister has been requesting for me to make her a dress ever since she saw the first dress I made for my self about a year ago now.  It took her until a few weeks ago to get her to tell me her measurements so I actually could make something for her.  Her dress made from a tutorial I saw about a year ago for an infinity dress and I can no longer figure out where I found the tutorial.
The dress being modeled by my duct tape dress form Darla.
The dress being modeled by my sister with her oldest daughter.
Since we went up to see my sister and her family for my niece's birthday we had to bring a gift and I had no desire to take both of my children shopping with me so I choose to make the birthday girl a dress.  I cut out  rectangles and parallelograms and sewed them together and shirred it hoping it would work out the way I wanted it to.  Luckily it turned out well.
She loved it.  My sister told me when she opened it that the birthday girl loves getting new clothes and shoes so it was the perfect present for her.  I also know that it will fit her for a few years to come because I tried it on my almost 4 year old to see if it would fit her.  We had a great time visiting and it was fun to sew for someone else for a little change now I think I will go back to sewing for myself for a while.





2 comments:

  1. They are really pretty. You did an awesome job! I am sure they will enjoy these dresses for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I hope they will enjoy the dresses and remember that they have them when it is actually warm enough to wear them outside.

    ReplyDelete